Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Wiki whinges



The whole wiki thing is driving me crazy. Have just spent most of the morning trying to see the WetPaint videos, to no avail. Let's just say I get the overall gist of it, and call it a day.

I think I need a doggie photo to calm me down. This one is of the boys at Stumer's Creek, at Coolum - a wonderful off leash beach area.
Some wiki thoughts...
SJPCL subject guide - good way to include documents, categories and links to catalogue from one source – but will the new version of elibcat cover this anyway?

What is the point in most cases? Except for fun stuff, wouldn’t it be better for experts to compile info? (despite german example) Why is user generated info any better?

Heritage wiki – nice way to provide access to digitised info, but why is this better than a website?

Booklovers wiki – nice idea – anyone can contribute reviews - maybe we could do something similar with Summer Reading each year.
I can also see the benefit of wikis for closed groups wanting to co-ordinate information.




1 comment:

Anon. said...

Perhaps a wiki about how to make a wiki work properly? As long as it worked, of course.